In .Net this exception occurs when using the TransactionScope.
using (TransactionScope ts = new TransactionScope())
Follow this instructions on all database servers and web servers to configure properly the MSDTC service.
First verify the "Distribute Transaction Coordinator" Service is
running on both database server computer and client computers
1. Go to "Administrative Tools > Services"
2. Turn on the "Distribute Transaction Coordinator" Service if it is not running
If it is running and client application is not on the same computer as
the database server, on the computer running database server
1. Go to "Administrative Tools > Component Services"
2. On the left navigation tree, go to "Component Services > Computers
> My Computer" (you may need to double click and wait as some nodes
need time to expand)
3. Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties"
4. Select "MSDTC" tab
5. Click "Security Configuration"
6. Make sure you check "Network DTC Access", "Allow Remote Client",
"Allow Inbound/Outbound", "Enable TIP" (Not required if the client machine and remote machines are in the same domain)
7. The MSDTC service will restart.
On the client computer use the same above procedure to open the
"Security Configuration" setting, make sure you check "Network DTC
Access", "Allow Inbound/Outbound" option, restart service and computer
On the SQL server service manager, click "Service" dropdown, select
"Distribute Transaction Coordinator", it should be also running on
the SQL server computer.
Is this does not solve the issue, check the web server to ensure if DTC is enable.
1) Go To Control Panel
2) Add Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components
4) Select the Application Server and Click on the Details button
5) Ensure that Enable DTC Service is selected.
Additional Reading about MSDTC here: